Carlie Bossard

Environmental/Forestry Scavenger Hunt

Discussion created by Carlie Bossard on May 25, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 by Carlie Bossard

Since it is nice out now I want to take my intro to ag classes outside and do a 'scavenger hunt' as something different for them to learn about environmental and forestry concepts. I'm looking to make similar to the amazing race where they can pick from two tasks or one person in the group must complete the challenge and we would keep track of where teams finish each day and have a prize at the end of the week. I'm looking for some fun and simple tasks for students to do/find, my school has a lot of land and a nice wooded lot that we can use. I want the tasks to be something where they have to learn on their own (no asking the teacher). I have come up with a few ideas but I would love to hear some others from other teachers!

Examples:

Find and identify 3 trees with alternate leaf patterns (they would be given a tree ID book)

Determine how many board feet are in a marked tree (would be given a biltmore stick and directions of how to use it)

Find and take a picture of a sign that wildlife has been in the area

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! I'm looking to have 4-5 activities each day (5 days total) and have the last day be the most challenging and review some of the things they learned earlier in the week!

Outcomes