David Wilson

Fish Tanks in Animal Science

Discussion created by David Wilson on Mar 1, 2015
Latest reply on May 11, 2015 by Henry Paris

Does anyone have aquarium activities, assignments etc. they are willing to share that could be used for animal science students? We have 15, 20 gallon and two 30 gallon aquariums.  We also have a 600 and 450 gallon tank. I do not teach an aquaculture class.  I have put up with caring for these tanks for several years.  I used to have a student take care of them for an SAE until he graduated, but now no one seems interested in doing this. The fish room is now a mess. I have fish in six tanks, just tropical warm water fish. The other small tanks are empty. I am not sure what to do with the empty tanks, contemplating getting rid of all the aquariums except the two largest tanks and maybe one of our 30 gallons tanks. I am also very limited with my budget. Years ago, I tried to integrate the fish tanks into my animal science classes. I had kids care for tanks, but it never did work very well. A lot of dead fish, broken equipment and a headache to care for during the summer. I am trying to decide what to do with the fish tanks.  I really do not have time to keep up with them, but if I can successfully make them work in Animal Science classes relieving me of the headache I will keep trying.  I would certainly appreciate any ideas, resources, student activities or assignment sheets.

Outcomes