Nina Crutchfield

What is your excuse for failing to inspire students to complete award and degree apps?

Discussion created by Nina Crutchfield on Dec 8, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 by Sarah Knutson

Perhaps it is one of these:

• There are not enough hours in the day.
  • I do not care about awards and degrees.
  • I want to have a life outside FFA.
  • I do not understand recordkeeping.
  • I do not understand the applications.
  • My students are not interested.
  • My students do not have SAEs good enough to invest the time in applications.
  • My students do not have SAEs.

Whichever you choose, it is either a personal issue or a professional issue. You are probably saying "Now wait one, dad-gum minute. The problem is the students they send me. It sure is not my fault they are not interested or do not have SAEs when they do not even want to be in my class."

I ask you to take a minute and consider who the educator is in your classroom. Consider who is responsible for motivating and inspiring any and all kids that walk through the ag department door. Consider who is responsible for delivering experiential learning.

After all, FFA awards and degrees are a reflection of those responsibilities. FFA award and degree applications are an accountability system when used properly. They can actually be used as authentic assessments of learning for students and performance measures for teachers. The great things is they do not have to be winning applications to accomplish any and all of these tasks.

Now what is your excuse for not inspiring students to complete FFA award and degree applications? Post your thoughts and comments here and be sure to read this month's issue of the Making a Difference portion of the FFA Pulse e-newsletter. https://www.ffa.org/ffaresources/publications/ffapulse/Pages/default.aspx

Outcomes