AnsweredAssumed Answered

New Facilities - Need Ideas/Advice for animal science, food science, aquaculture, vet science, greenhouse, hydroponics

Question asked by Renee Schweitzer on Oct 7, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 by W. Kyle Hearn

I am in my third year of teaching and within the next year, my agriscience program will be moving to a new building. With the move, we will be putting up a new learning lab. I am looking for advice on facility design especially in the areas listed below. Please share your "ideal" facilities along with practical advice. We have an opportunity to make this an absolutely amazing facility, and I don't want it limited by my lack of knowledge/experience.

Animal Science - we will be housing the following animals in the facility - broiler chickens, rabbits & other small animals, cattle, sheep, swine, and possibly goats. The large animal projects (beef, sheep, swine, and goats) will be both class projects and student co-op projects. I am looking at including an elevated seating area with desks overlooking a small arena for demonstration purposes. I also would like an animal washing/grooming area.

Food Science - for those that teach this - what do you recommend?

Veterinary Science - I would like to include a lab to be able to teach vet science basics where students can do pet physicals and practice other basic vet. skills.

Aquaculture - We raise tilapia and hatch salmon eggs for release, but would love new ideas for design (and possibly expansion into salt water/reptiles)

Plant Science - Greenhouse designs? Hydroponics Facility Designs? We also will have at least one cold frame hoophouse.

General Science Lab

Thank you in advance for your help!!

-Renee

Outcomes