AnsweredAssumed Answered

Selecting members for banquet awards

Question asked by Ashley Burks-Norwood on Apr 24, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 by Amanda Reid

I am wrapping up my first year as a teacher and I am coming in to the final turn with banquet season. The past couple of years our chapter has been in and out of a teacher. The last teacher (before I got hired) didn't hold elections for an officer team and the current team has been serving since late Sept. Our chapter membership and level of participation has fluctuated quite a bit throughout the year. Although it has been a struggle I was really excited to recognize the members at our banquet!

I have hit a bump in the road though...

Our membership is really small and I didn't want the kids to be nominating and voting for themselves, so I had planned to select members for our (extensive list) of banquet awards, myself. My main question is: Who should actually be selecting award winners? My alumni chapter are fairly "liberal" when it comes to making suggestions about who they think should receive awards. I get the impression the alumni may not be pleased I had intended to select recipients myself and they feel offended since I hadn't asked them to choose. As far as I know they haven't been the ones to make that decision in the past and several of them are parents of the members that would be getting the awards. I'm at a loss and any advice would be appreciated!!

Outcomes