AnsweredAssumed Answered

Hands on Activities You Do

Question asked by Katie Mouton on Nov 19, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 30, 2016 by Sophie McKenzie

Me and my teaching partner teaching partner both teach  animal science. This is my first year to teach it this is his second and we are struggling to come up with different ideas on what to do that is more hands on for animal science. I've done a few stuff, for example we have been talking about dairy and dairy cattle so we made butter and tried to make yogurt. I did a unit on meats and at the end of the unit I had every student pay me $3 and I went to walmart and bought a couple steaks to grill and every one got to try different cuts of steak. Our problem is that we don't have any livestock animals that we can do stuff with, so when we teach repro there is no cow we can palpate, no young calf we can show them how to castrate etc. We are forced to come up with alternate ideas or just not do hands on things at all. Our animal science kids are seniors keeping them engaged can be a problem at times.  By adding something hands on related we are hoping to keep them excited about the class.

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out and tell me a few different "fun" hands on activities that we can do for different units. If you could tell me what unit you do it for and what you do I would really appreciate it.

Outcomes