AnsweredAssumed Answered

Motivation for 2nd Semester???

Question asked by Emily on Dec 14, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 by Ashley Smith (Larkin)

My question is this... how in the world do you stay motivated as a first year teacher, at a struggling school/FFA program, with unmotivated, apathetic students? I've been struggling most of the year just to get my students to stay awake in class, let alone do their work or buy into what we're doing. I'm thankful for the support of my fellow teachers in the school, but they struggle constantly with the same thing... it's across the board in every subject. Apathy is rampant. We teach in a very low income area with little support for education. Most of the time my kids are more worried about where their next meal is coming from rather than getting their homework turned in the next day. It's very hard as a first year teacher... I have 7 different preps every day and an officer team that is practically nonexistent, along with several school-wide discipline issues. How do I come back after Christmas with the ability to carry on and be a good teacher? It's hard to stay positive and remember how to make a difference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Anyone been in this position before?

Outcomes