AnsweredAssumed Answered

Paper work for animals in the classroom??

Question asked by Kathryn Simunich on Dec 13, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 by Stacy Skemp

As I've posted before, I plan to start teaching a Small Animal Care I course this Spring. Once our new school is built-or closer to that time, I will also implement Small Animal Care II and Veterinary Science to our curriculum.


I plan on having a few animals for the classroom; gerbils or hamsters, fish, and possibly a rabbit or chinchilla. Yet, with the requirements for the courses-especially the higher level ones, I will also be bringing in (or allowing the students to bring in) their/my own pets--> dogs and cats. Since we have never had this course at our school, I don't have any type of liabilitiy contract or a safety pledge made up for this environment. I know for a fact that my principal, superintendent, and school board will be waiting for the proper paper work to ensure that I have addressed all safety concerns to students and parents.


What contracts do you use? Have you made them up yourself, or are there contracts I can draw from? I'd like to have a general safety paper plus a contract to go home to be signed by student and parent (much like a safety pledge to work in the ag shop).


Any and all advice or ideas are welcome!!! Thank you in advance for your time and ideas!