9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2017 3:03 PM by Sarah LaRose

Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum

Neighbor

Hello, I am a student teacher preparing lessons for a unit on marketing. I want to base my unit on the marketing plan CDE, but I've never done the CDE myself and am not sure where to start. Also, I only have 4 seniors, so I want them to create their own market plan as a group or possibly pair up and create 2 plans. Does anyone have any resources I could use? Even a unit outline would be extremely helpful! Thank you in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
          Neighbor

Hi ,

I wish you luck in your search. Our Community of Practice is mostly farm business management instructors employed by community colleges and universities. We work with active farmers on things like recordkeeping, business analysis, cash flow projections, all areas of finance and some production. For the most part, we do not do a lot of traditional classroom activities that most secondary or post-secondary ag ed teachers would find interesting and useful. For links to what we do, you might want to go to www.nfrbmea.org and check into our Resource Library. There are spreadsheets and some promotional materials that explain more about what we do in adult farm business management programs.

Have a good day.

Deb Pike
          Moderator- NAAE Communities of Practice, Farm Business Management

• 2. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
            Neighbor

Thank you for your response.

• 3. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
              Neighbor

Hi mmlentsch,

B. Jensen, a Farm Business Management instructor with Northland Community & Technical College, contacted me and hopes you may find this link helpful:

http://www.mgex.com/pdfs/resources/FuturesOptions%204602.pdf

Regards,

Deb Pike
              Moderator- NAAE Communities of Practice, Farm Business Management

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
                Sarah LaRose Mentor

Hello there,

Here's my prompt for a class I taught last year where we created Marketing Plans just like the CDE contest.  I have some more information posted under the New Teachers Thread regarding this as well. I am also attaching a packet of information regarding Marketing Plans from Missouri that is very useful. Enjoy!

• 5. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
                  Nikki Fideldy Hero

I love this marketing plan! Do you have the rubrics that you used to grade your students. Also, do you have any example student marketing plans you would be willing to share? Thanks in advance!

• 6. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
                    Crystal Aukema Neighbor

Would you be willing to share the rubrics you used for this project?  This is a great set up!

• 7. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
                      Sarah LaRose Mentor

I only just now realized that people had follow up comments on my post! For some reason COP didn't let me know that there were subsequent comments :-(

I have the rubrics that I used, but they are on one of my external hard drives at home. I will be sure to upload them here later! I remember when I did this project, it was A BEAR to get kids to follow through consistently with their project. I did end up with a marketing team that competed in our state's CDE contest as a result of this course. The rubrics I used to grade this included a hodge podge of school wide rubrics that our school's staff as a whole developed to assess school-wide learner expectations. After completion of this project I definitely would have revised and streamlined the rubric to more clearly assess various aspects.  I am not certain if I have sample student work still since my original post was six (holy cow when did that happen??) years ago, but I'll look through my files. Happy to help out in whatever way I can, though I am sorry I didn't see this sooner!

• 8. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
                        Sarah LaRose Mentor

I only just now realized that people had follow up comments on my post! For some reason COP didn't let me know that there were subsequent comments :-(

I have the rubrics that I used, but they are on one of my external hard drives at home. I will be sure to upload them here later! I remember when I did this project, it was A BEAR to get kids to follow through consistently with their project. I did end up with a marketing team that competed in our state's CDE contest as a result of this course. The rubrics I used to grade this included a hodge podge of school wide rubrics that our school's staff as a whole developed to assess school-wide learner expectations. After completion of this project I definitely would have revised and streamlined the rubric to more clearly assess various aspects.  I am not certain if I have sample student work still since my original post was six (holy cow when did that happen??) years ago, but I'll look through my files. Happy to help out in whatever way I can, though I am sorry I didn't see this sooner!

• 9. Re: Marketing Plan Lessons / Curriculum
                          Sarah LaRose Mentor

Here are the rubrics! Again, these were developed to meet our school-wide learner expectations and need some revision. In the project prompt it says that I used the Marketing Plan Scoresheet to grade the quality of the actual presentation content. This was the rubric from the National FFA Marketing CDE. Below is a PDF of the Marketing Plan CDE Handbook from that year, though I don't think it is accurate anymore. The Scoresheet is on the last page.