AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trashing the old and starting over: Fundamentals

Question asked by Chad Sickbert on Apr 8, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 30, 2016 by Hailey R. Gates

I'm in my 12th year of teaching, 2nd year at my current school.  After an initial dip in numbers when I came to this school, I've found out that my program numbers are taking a huge jump next year (Part of this comes from a large group of 8th graders; I'll have two sections of Fundamentals.)  I feel like I've done a pretty good job with most of the curriculum, and word of mouth and a junior high recruitment program are helping my program to grow.  This is a good problem to have and I'm excited about the future here.

Knowing that I'm getting this big group of freshmen next year, I am hoping they become the base of a successful ag program so I want to emphasize making this class a great experience for them.  I've never been very satisfied with my fundamentals of ag curriculum.  I intend to throw out my old Fundamentals files and start all over.  I'll keep a few things but need some fresh ideas. I was hoping that if any of you had some great activities that you do with your introductory classes that you would be willing to share those. 

Other classes we offer:

Animal Science

Horticulture

Ag. Mechanics

Advanced Life Science: Animals

(Advanced Life Science: Foods and Natural Resources are other options but not being offered next year.)

I know CASE has an intro program, but I won't be able to attend that training this summer (already attending two others) but hope to possibly do so next year.  Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions you can offer.

Sincerely,

Chad Sickbert

Southridge High School

Outcomes