Michael Kaeb

Shop Safety Requirements

Discussion created by Michael Kaeb on Aug 25, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 by Lindsey Davie

Greetings. New teacher here. One half day and one whole day under my belt. So far so good!

I will give you a brief background so you have an idea of what I am working with. The Ag department and FFA program is getting ready to start its 4th year. For the first three years, and this year because I got hired to late to make a difference, there have not been any pre-req's for any of the ag classes. Numbers are down and this year, the only courses being offered are; 1 semester of Basic Ag Mechanics, 1 semester of Ag Business, a full year of Ag Construction, and Intro to Ag. Since Intro to Ag has never been a pre-req, I have all grade levels spread out throughout all my courses. I have sophomores through seniors taking Ag Mech and Ag Construction, some of whom have taken Ag classes and some who have not. Basic Ag Mechanics I plan to teach a little land use, welding, and small  engines. After all, it is only one semester. In Ag construction, I plan  to cover everything from ground up. That is the background on the students and courses. Now the shop background.

My welding area consists of 5 well worn but still working stick welders. I have 3 MIG welders that have been bought over the last 3 years (1 a year I believe). I have a big floor grinder and a drill press. Other than that, I do not have a whole lot to work with. The school used to have an Industrial Arts program which was converted to the now Ag program. I have lots of wood working equipment; band saws, table saws, planers, sanders, radial arm saws, dovetail machines, routers, etc, etc, etc.

All that being said, I would like some input on what you would recommend having the students do before being allowed to enter the shop. I don't really have any curriculm that deals with safety (and for that matter, being the 3rd teacher in a program that is 4 years old, I do not have hardly any curriculum so if you are willing to share anything, I would appreciate it!!). I would like to know how much and what you teach your students about safety. How long do you spend? Do they have to pass a test with a minimum score to be able to go to the shop? Thanks SO much in advance for your help! It is greatly appreciated!!

Feel free to email me at michael.kaeb@gmail.com.

Outcomes