Alison Derringer

Help! I'm loosing them!!

Discussion created by Alison Derringer on May 7, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2009 by John Jones

So everyone knows how it gets when you have less than 3 weeks left of school - kids zone out in class, complain about being in class instead of in the 'shop', etc.  My freshman class has been a great group all year, but are fizzling out a little bit now and want to do something hands-on in our shop lab area like my upper level classes are. Problem is, we have no ventilation system that can aquire that many students (unless you call a garage door 'ventilation'), supplies are low to make anything and I don't have enough time to properly teach them safety for the power tools (don't know if I would trust some of them with the tools anyway!!). Plus this is my largest class and our shop lab is small. I do have access to the outside parking lot and can use that whenever I need to get to a bigger area.

I don't want to do something just do do it and take up time - I want them to learn and be able to gain something from it! Any suggestions on something you've done in a similar situation that is hands-on work?

Outcomes