Red Brand Fencing has not been able to send me a Fencing 101 kit, but I used their "Pocket Guide" to help provide students with the basics of fencing information. As we went through the Guide, they each took a page to explain to their classmates. I will be adding a guided note or understanding guide or graphic organizer for students to take notes from. I used this Kahoot to get a feel for their understanding of the unit vocabulary and some of the required concepts.
These are the concepts that you must understand:
1) Components of Fence/Vocabulary: T-Post, Wire knots: Monarch Knot, Square Knot, Cross Lock Knot, Gauge, Woven Wire, Square Mesh, Netting, Line Wire, Pullout, Commercial Coating weight, Fence use classification, Barbed Wire - 2 point and 4 point, High Tensile Wire, Stock Panels, Poultry Netting, T-post fastener, Fence Staples (Barbless, single barb and double barb)
2) how to read Fence Style Numbers.
3) Difference between poultry netting and yard/garden/kennel
4) The main types of fencing (Continuous panel, woven wire, 3/4/5/6 /strand, Barbwire, woven and barb, stock panels)
5) Why do we use fencing?
6) How do we figure fencing needs to establish a implementation cost?
For practice in figuring perimeter and getting students to draw out the shapes of a field/pasture we did this together on a JamBoard to provide a check for understanding.
Unit finished with this project: