Taryn Romanczak

Roadblocks

Discussion created by Taryn Romanczak on Jul 16, 2018

I think one of my biggest roadblocks is TIME!!  Time to cover everything we need to cover, time to reflect on teaching, time to complete all the tasks the administration requires us to do, time to write lesson plans, time to revamp old lesson plans, time to grade papers, times to be someone other than a teacher.

Some of the things that I try and do is make lists- I have a to do notebook that I write down everything that I need to get done.  This helps me to remember everything that I need to do and it is SO satisfying to cross things off the list! I do need to often tell myself that I can't do everything and I need to prioritize what needs to be done.  Because I am so time and list oriented, I try and pass this skill on to my students.  

One major roadblock that I have in regards to our FFA chapter is that I only have my students for one, maybe two years.  This is very hard to get students motivated to participate.  I typically have a small, core group of students who do EVERYTHING.  I have found that I can not force FFA on my students.  It is also difficult because my students come from 5-7 different sending schools and are only with me for 2 1/2 hours- so traveling back for meetings/after school activities is very difficult.  This is going to be compounding this coming year by moving to another campus that is not adjacent to ANY of our sending schools (I am currently located next to one of the bigger districts).  I rack my brain every year for a solution to this problem, and there really is nothing that I can do- I can not change the school's schedules or arrange additional transportation back and forth for the students so they can come back after school (I have tried).  

Outcomes