Katie Mouton

Teaching Small Animal

Discussion created by Katie Mouton on Sep 20, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 31, 2017 by Taryn Romanczak

I'm teaching small animal at my first year at a new school, I don't think they've had it here before. Anyway, I was just kind of wondering a few things about people who do teach small animal. Are live animals necessary? While it would be neat idea to get real dogs  during animal health, or animal restraint units my own personal dog is definitely not friendly enough to do that, and I don't know of anybody around here or any dogs well behaved enough to be brought in a classroom. There also isn't an cages or a good place to keep them, I have an empty shop area that used to be a woodshop but its a shop, unairconditioned, unheated.

I thought about getting stuffed animal dogs for students to demonstrate and practice things like restraint, first aid, physical exams etc. but I wasn't sure if that would be a lame boring thing for kids to do or not. Or any kind of neat alternatives for them to do instead of real animals. Anyway I was just curious of any practices or idea anybody has in place in their small animal or vet med class.

Outcomes