1 2 First Previous 21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 12:49 PM by Emily Reed

Show the Way Discussion

Katie Wood Top CoP

Consider the following. Again, you are free to answer all questions, or explore one.

1. Describe the classroom (or department, or school) you are trying to create.

2. Describe what the classroom would look like if it were a great place for students. What about for teachers?

3. It is the end of the school year, and you have achieved your vision for your classroom. Describe how you are different, including what is going on in terms of results, relationships, practices, and climate.

4. Imagine you have sixty seconds on the nightly news to clarify your vision of your classroom to the local community. How would you use your time? What would you say?

• 1. Re: Show the Way Discussion
          Jessica Bester Neighbor

The classroom that I am trying to create is an engaging, welcoming, growing and 21st Century learning classroom!  What do I mean by these?  Well engaging is one way to describe Agriculture classroom's as a whole, that's the great thing about teaching topics that are best taught hands-on.  Whether it's growing a garden, working with the classroom pet or making fishing poles, every class that I have has a big hands-on project that is usually the main reason the students take my class, which is okay because these hands-on projects hold the promise of giving "hidden objectives" without the students even knowing.

Welcoming: I want all of my students feel welcome to come into my classroom as they are, whether they are having the worst day of their school year or their best.  I hope to have an open door policy where students feel they can come talk to me about academics or personal problems they may be experiencing.  With FFA advisor as another "title" many of us have, we usually know what the students home life is better than other teachers because we work the students outside of the classroom.

Growing: One of the reasons I have done this Book Club the past 2 years is because I want to continue to grow as an educator and not just settle for the same lessons and curriculum I started with.  I hope to bring that into my classroom and radiate that to my students, by wanting them to learn and grow as students, as well as individuals.

21st Century Learning: Technology is ever growing and always changing, the technology the students are working with in school will still be the same they see outside of the classroom, however will have been updated.  By learning how to use this 21st Century technology I can help the students learn how to use the technology and to be prepared for changes that may occur.  Many times students respond to choices rather than being told what to learn or how to learn, this causes them to think critically and think for their own.

2.  What about for teachers?

I want to share my vision and excitement for learning and growing with my fellow teachers, this can be shown through the bulletin boards I place in my room, as well as the discussions I have with my colleagues.

4. Imagine you have sixty seconds on the nightly news to clarify your vision of your classroom to the local community. How would you use your time? What would you say?

My vision for my classroom is to provide students with a welcoming, engaging environment by providing lessons and curriculum that provoke growing using 21st Century Learning Technology by both the students and teachers, so students will become successful members of society and go after their highest dreams.

• 2. Re: Show the Way Discussion
            Wyatt Frampton Citizen

The classroom I am trying to create is where student interested in animals can come and learn the basics of veterinary science / assisting to become part of the next generation of animal care professionals. Each student will pass the state CTE cerfication tests and have the skills to be able to obtain a job as a veterinary assistant if that is their desire.

• 3. Re: Show the Way Discussion
              Samantha Srp Neighbor

A classroom of structure as well as creativity and exploration.  A safe environment with also allowing for some fun.  A classroom where the teacher and rules are respected and followed.

A department of success, education, and structure.  One where students know their roles and how to function within them no matter what teacher they have.

A school that harkens back to how great it used to be.  Where discipline is the same no matter who or what type of student you are.

2. Describe what the classroom would look like if it were a great place for students. What about for teachers?

This is a tough one.  I have tried exploring more "fun" classrooms, but being an ag teacher that is out a lot for FFA events, subs RUIN it.  I have tried alternative seating....subs allow no work to be completed.  I have created a section where if work is done students may work on missing work, color, or play some board games, I game back to games broken in HALF.  You know the game Don't Break the Ice? The 2 blue plastic parts that make the frame to hold the ice cubes?  Came back to one part broken completely in HALF.  That isn't something that just happens accidentally. Add to that the attitude of entitlement I face among 99.9 percent of my students such as "I don't have to pick up that piece of paper, that is why we have custodians."  OR "F you and this school, you can send me to the office, but I wont get in trouble because I have to play football Friday."  "I know I broke it, but we are to poor and I cant replace it.  Doesn't the school pay for all this stuff anyway?"  As a result, I am the mean teacher....if you cant respect anything, the classroom will reflect it:  sit in your desks, in straight rows, close your mouth when we are working (which is bell to bell).

3. It is the end of the school year, and you have achieved your vision for your classroom. Describe how you are different, including what is going on in terms of results, relationships, practices, and climate.

It would have to include knowing what my students are doing after graduation (providing they did graduate).  I know it sounds like I must teach in an inner city school, but the truth is this is the small town I grew up in.  Over my past 10 years teaching, I have seen it change SO much from a close knit community where everyone knows everyone; parents and students are held accountable for their education and behavior; to a place where now you don't recognize many people because they move in and out so fast.  We now have open enrollment and most of what we get is getting kicked out of other schools because of behavior OR students that were hot-shot athletes with a not-so-great sports program coming to be a part of a winning program.  I go back to that whole entitlement attitude.  The successful kids think they should be #1, getting 100s, not getting in trouble for anything or they have their mommy call and complain it is the teacher's fault.  The problem kids have been allowed to get away with many things like cursing at teachers (F word), threatening teachers, skipping a LOT of class, being caught with drugs and cigs and the minimum is done because "Oh, we need to understand they have a hard life" or the fear of money lost and paperwork for calling cops, expelling, dropping out. 

Everyday we are bombarded with news reports high school aged students engaged in illegal activities or gaming the system, my teaching strategies seek to show them structure and the consequences of their actions so they can make better informed, positive choices.  By doing so, they become a beneficial part of our community and not a liability.

• 4. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                Lauren Van Allen Neighbor

-It is my goal to create a classroom that is a safe, fun learning environment.  As an educator, I want to have an open-door policy that encourages my students to share their ideas, dreams, and innovative spirit.  Students who are actively engaged and responsible for their learning, will create a classroom that fosters an ideal learning space.

-A welcoming classroom environment that is bright, energetic, and full of conversation would be an ideal place for students to learn.  For teachers, students who are constantly willing participants in classroom activities, discussions, and tasks would be ideal.  A place where teacher and students can be engaged in learning, utilizing their abilities to innovate and create, and feel safe enough to share and discuss with others.

-My vision statement is “Together WE will learn, lead, and AGvocate for a better tomorrow.”  If my students achieve this throughout the school year, it will be shown through their actions outside of the classroom.  They are actively conversing with others about agriculture, in a variety of settings.  They can utilize this as recruitment for the department, recruitment for the support of the agriculture industry, and creating more opportunities for themselves through outside activities. 

-I think it is important to discuss the concept of advocating for agriculture.  Explaining to listeners about the importance the agriculture industry has and how young, motivated students can make a positive impact in the promotion of the industry and the challenges it faces.

• 5. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                  Anna Lukert Neighbor

An engaging environment in which students are able to take the lead into exploring agriculture and it's influence in their lives and topics that interest them. A place where students come to learn, explore and lead their classmates to know more about food, fiber and natural resources. An interactive shop and classroom that invites students to learn new skills and challenge preconceived notions about the world around them.

Interesting posters, models, and interactive stations. A shop that is clean and organized enough to stay productive. Seating that fosters communication and interaction without causing distraction. Teacher resources organized and easy to access. Ready to use flip chart style standards to highlight where students have been and where they will be going to next.

I am more organized and thus more relaxed, students are excited about next year and possibilities for other classes. The community is aware of what is going on in the chapter and is excited to become involved in the success of the classroom and FFA. Students are excited to share their knowledge and Agvocate throughout the community.

I hope students will use my classroom as a starting point to create a map to achieving their dreams and goals. Along their journey they will learn about the importance of agriculture to society and our community and will become more informed consumers who understand the management and production of their food, fiber and natural resources. Most of all, students are having fun while they learn and finding ways to make a difference in their community and be a leader within their school. This preparation will lead them to personal and career success as they graduate and move on into the world to pursue their dreams.

• 6. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                    Sarah Knight Neighbor

I am going to answer the first and last question.

1. the type of classroom i am trying to create is one that is full of learning, not just subject matter, but life skills. i want the students who enter my room to find a teacher who truly cares about the student as a whole. ideally when students leave my classroom they will have achieved to the best of their ability. There should always be learning taking place, students should be learning in ways that prepare them for the future. Students should be able to enter and focus on their strengths and improve their weaknesses. Instruction should be geared to finding each student's strength and helping students work to their full potential.

4. if I had 60 seonds to show people what my class is about i would simply tell them finding the best in each student and giving them the opportunity to showcase their talents.  Teachers sgould always find what their students greatest strength is and use that to help students excell. 

• 7. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                      Kendra Rieckhoff Neighbor

I am trying to create a department that sets an example for the school and community environment. Students should take responsibility and pride in the department, specifically when it comes to the FFA side. Academic/career success and leadership in the communities we live in are mentioned in the vision statement for National FFA. I want that to be the center of what we do in the Brunswick Agriculture Department, where not only do we learn about agriculture, but what we can do with our career paths to help the world become a sustainable and successful environment for society. This place should allow every student to explore and develop a sense of success that they can have in the future. The agriculture classroom should feel like a family.

A great classroom for students, is a classroom where they can express their concerns and opinions about issues. However, this is the place for them to learn how to appropriately have conversations with people who maybe do not have the same opinion/views as themselves. I would hope in an ideal classroom students would come in wanting to learn something new, however, we also have to realize as educators that this is not always the case. Occasionally we have to go off script of what we were hoping to accomplish that day, in order to reach students where they are at.

For teachers, the classroom should be an environment that creates a culture of trust and enthusiasm. Teachers should be excited for the day, and whatever topic they are teaching! Of course there are the days (and certain classes) that may not be the easiest to get through, but for the majority of our time it should be an adventure every day! The classroom should be a place for the teacher to continue to grow in their knowledge and skill as an educator. Teachers should be growing with students throughout the year, because as soon as we stop learning and growing, so do our students.

The end of the school year is always an exciting time, and exhausting at the same time. At the end of the school year I tend to feel more confident in my classroom management and my approach to the students. As students grow and change, so do the approaches we take with them in the classroom. Often times the environment has become more relaxed (in a positive way), where the students feel more open having conversations, and have a grip on how the classroom is run (as do I). My hope is that students grow in their thinking and ability in problem solving real-world issues.

In those sixty seconds I  would focus on student success. I would describe how my department allows for student growth in leadership, career/academic growth, and advocacy. Not only that, but the experiential learning that occurs in the department. Whether that be learning how to grow a plant to apply to their own garden, or working on a resume for their next job. The skills they learn are applicable and versatile in any career setting, not just agriculture. The department is also developing students who are literate and knowledgeable about agriculture that can help work towards the sustainable world we hope to create. I would also emphasize how the department is a partnership with the community and other school organizations, and that is what develops success.

• 8. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                        Robin McLean Top CoP

I am trying to create a classroom where students have the freedom and comfort to share their ideas no matter how different they might be from my own or their classmates. Hence, the learn together and grow together statements in my vision statement. The grow together idea also builds on the concept of open eyes by helping students understand the idea that agriculture is everywhere. Open eyes also supports the idea of trying to create a classroom where students realize that learning doesn't stop when the day is over. I want students to advocate for agriculture but also for themselves. Often my younger students don't realize they have a voice. By using the phrase "open eyes," I want to help them understand that they have the power to advocate and it can be as simple as helping someone else understand their perspective.

This answer will seem very structure based, but a fundamental change that would help me make a great classroom for my students would be desks and chairs separate from each other instead of welded together. This would contribute to better opportunity for easily reconfiguring the room as needed for partner work, team work, lab activities, etc. It would also be great if I was allowed to put items on my walls or cabinets. There's just not enough space to celebrate success and share student work on 2 white boards also used for teaching. 

Teamwork is a more natural feel for students even if they are working with classmates different from themselves. They have an awareness that they have a message to share and can make a difference.

Summer is my "play time" when I am home and I got home yesterday, so here's my minute of possibly what the vision might look like in grabby news soundbite.

What Is Ag Ed? - YouTube

• 9. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                          Robin McLean Top CoP

I like your concept of "hidden objectives" and learning without knowing it.

• 10. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                            Robin McLean Top CoP

I agree with you on the concept of advocating for agriculture. I thought about including that in my vision but have learned that for some reason, middle schoolers don't grasp the concept of "advocating" so I used the idea of "open eyes." I can use that as a jumping off point for how they are advocates, but it helps give them an idea they can get into. (Ex. going home and sharing something with their parents does open the parent's eyes but ultimately is a baby step into being an advocate for agriculture.)

• 11. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                              Becky DeShazo Neighbor
                              1. 2. Describe what the classroom would look like if it were a great place for students. What about for teachers?

Looking around the classroom would be groups of students and single students deeply involved in the project or research they are into.  Cooperation and encouragement would be heard.  Smiles and high fives could be seen.  Trust and inclusion would be everywhere no matter the skill level of the student.  Teachers would be the “guides on the side” moving quietly around the room unless helping to celebrate success or provided advice and encouragement when needed. Learning would have a real world purpose and students would have a sense of achievement.  No one (students or teachers) would feel they had wasted one second of their life without purpose.  Oh to pull this one off!!! 

• 12. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                                Jerry Janisch Neighbor

1.      Describe the classroom (or department, or school) you are trying to create.

Since Agriculture Education is a Career Technical based program, I am creating a classroom that is most technical, industry based in the area.  This will allow students to get the most current, hands-on training for their careers and also guide students to look at possible Agriculture based careers.  Finally the skills, leadership and training the students receives will give them the necessary background in whatever post-secondary career they choose to be successful.  At the same time, I work on making the classroom safe and the students feel welcome any time of the day.  The students know that they can make mistakes, try something new and not be afraid of being ridicule for making mistakes. 

2. Describe what the classroom would look like if it were a great place for students.   The classroom would be a safe place for the students to learn and explore their careers.  Next the classroom would be open to students anytime during the day, so they can have access to technology.  Programs like schoology will be used for assignments, so student who miss will have access to them.  The desks/tables will be comfortable for student learning. 

What about for teachers?  Teachers will be able to build relationships with the students, not just students we all want to know, but the hard reaching, “I do not care” students.   Teachers will have access and the background training for the current technology.  Teachers will be allowed to try and explore different methods of teaching.  Teachers will not be afraid of trying something “new, different and exciting.”  Confusion Rocks!  In my world, every day would be different. 

3.  It is the end of the school year, and you have achieved your vision for your classroom. Describe how you are different, including what is going on in terms of results, relationships, practices, and climate.  So the end of the school year, how am I different. Well for one I would be still motivated to continue to do this career, maybe for one more year.  I see that the hard work that went into the program actually made a difference in most, if not all, of the students.  The students came away with a sense they learn something that they will use in their future.  Some students might get through the school year because of that one class they look forward of having with me, which gives them that one more day of staying in school and working towards the end of the year.  I have a relationship with all the students, there is a level of respect between us. The Agriculture Program prospective is that the program is tough, fair and beneficial.  

I would have the camera take pictures of students welding, working in the greenhouse, doing classroom labs and assignments.  I would the newscaster interview students, having them explain why they are enrolled in the program, difference it is making, etc.  I would have them show females students welding, males working with flowers, nontraditional point of view.  I would explain that the program is making a difference in students’ lives. “Like it or don’t like it, we are the best thing going today.” 

• 13. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                                  Robin McLean Top CoP

I love the fact that you mention we are career and technical education. I'm a member of both NAAE and ACTE because I know ACTE advocates for CTE as a whole and I have a responsibility to be part of both professional organizations serving me as an Ag teacher. 

• 14. Re: Show the Way Discussion
                                    Jerry Janisch Neighbor

Thank you Robin.  We sometime forget in the chaos of things that we are Agriculture teachers in Career and Technical Education.  I have been a member fo NAAE and ACTE for going on 36 years.  We are in this together. 

1 2 First Previous