Alison Derringer

Officer commitment issues

Discussion created by Alison Derringer on Aug 14, 2008
Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 by Lee Smith

My team of 8 officers is very diverse - a few play sports, many are in band or choir, and two work part-time. They were selected based on interviews this year and I felt that we had a strong team of responsible people. This summer, I scheduled our officer retreat about a month and 1/2 ago and just this week, 4 stated that they couldn't attend the retreat that is this weekend. 1 had a volleyball scrimmage - excuse was that she's been in volleyball longer than FFA; 2 had to work and couldn't get out of it and another had football scrimmage. I called parents, bosses and coaches to no avail - they couldn't go without a consequence to their job or sport.

I am very frustrated at this point because I don't know what to do. This is only my second year and the program was very week when I came last year. I promised myself that I wasn't going to be a FFA drill sergeant because I didn't want kids to feel like FFA had to be their only life. I have to do something to make it clear to them that being an officer is an important role, though. Any suggestions that have worked for anyone else in the past? I'm going to go on with the camp for the four that can go, but I need to take action when we return for those that couldn't attend. Thanks in advance for the help!

Outcomes