AnsweredAssumed Answered

Basic Engines - Module/Unit

Question asked by Dani Gaulden on Oct 25, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 28, 2021 by corrisa connor

I am working on a Middle School Mechanics unit that involves stations and rotating through each section. They would rotate through 5 stations in groups of 3-5 students (woodworking, welding, electricity, concrete, small engines). Each station would be 3 days. This would be after safety is covered. I have 4 stations good to go, but I am needing some help/ideas for the small engines station. 

My competency to cover for small engines is very basic: "Explain operation principles of small engines. Explanation should include:the principles of an internal combustion engine, identification of the necessary requirements of an engine, description of the parts of a small engine."

I have 2 engines, but I have classes back to back, and I know that I won't have time to put all the pieces back together for them to take apart each class period. Also, I don't have any space to keep them out when my 6th and 7th grade classes come into the shop.

I was hoping someone may have some ideas of perhaps a module or something that the students could complete on small engines or a self-study unit that would be interesting and engaging. My kids are 1:1 with iPads, so we do have that a a plus, but I am at a loss for how to cover this information with them. As I stated before, it would need to be a 3 day unit, which could include both the instruction and the application. My class periods are 80 minutes, so after beginning of class and clean up activities are taken out, it would be 3 days of 60 minutes or so to work.

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Outcomes