Julie Fritsch

Free online game to teach social, economic and environmental sustainability - Journey 2050

Discussion created by Julie Fritsch on Mar 29, 2016

I was introduced to Journey 2050 the other day, and I wanted to share it with you guys. It's a free online game built around farming in three different scenarios - Kenya, India and Canada. It kind of reminds me of Farmville, but more realistic. It was actually fun and challenging to play, and it might be a good way to work in some additional material about sustainability in your classes. You can go to http://www.journey2050.com/ and simply play for fun (there is also an app for Apple and Andriod).

Additionally, they have created a teacher version that has lessons and follow-up activities that go along with each level of the game. The lessons are crosswalked wtih standards by state. To access those, you have to sign up for a teacher account and be approved, but it's completely free. There is even a way to get reports on each of your students who plays the game.

Here is the info from Journey 2050, along with a link to the game:

How will we sustainably feed 9 billion people by the year 2050?

Journey 2050 allows schools to experience agriculture like it?s never been taught before. As grade 7-12+ students explore sustainable agriculture they make inquiry-based decisions to see the ripple effect on social, economic and environmental factors locally and globally. Farm families from Kenya, India and Canada guide students through interactive games such as a virtual farm simulation and career avatar.

Lesson plans are provided in this free, curriculum-based program.

Food is life. Sustainable food is our future.
www.Journey2050.com

J2050_play game.jpg

Outcomes