Sometimes a motion contains multiple ideas. For example, a member may make a motion "to buy a new computer and monitor for the chapter." If a member likes only the idea of buying a new computer and not the monitor, a division of a question can be used to split the motion into two parts.
Member (after rising , addressing the chair and being recognized) "I move that the motion be divided to consider buying a new computer and buying a new monitor separately."
This motion requires a second, is undebartable, and requires a majority vote.
If the motion to divide is adopted, each topic is processed (debated and voted on) as separate motions.
THE MOTIONS BELOW ARE APPROPRIATE TO USE FOR ANY PARLIAMENTRY PROCEDURE CDE,
IF A DIVISION OF A QUESTION IS REQUIRED.
NOTE THAT EACH ONE
IS DIVIDABLE INTO TWO, SEPARATE ORIGINAL MAIN MOTIONS.
1. I move that our chapter purchase a new laptop computer and a new laser printer.
2. I move that our chapter run a Food for America and an Agricultural Awareness Program.
3. I move that our chapter host District parliamentary procedure and public speaking CDE?s.
4. I move that our chapter purchase FFA jackets and shirts for our new officers.
5. I move that our chapter pay the expenses for our president and vice-president to attend the National FFA Convention.
6. I move that we invite our State FFA President and Secretary to attend our next annual awards banquet. (or the National FFA President and Secretary, our
Principal and Assistant Principal, our teachers and counselors, our school superintendent and school board, our ASB President and Vice-President).
7. I move that we recommend to our advisor that our chapter participate in the District Parliamentary Procedure and Extemporaneous Public Speaking CDE?s.
8. I move that the chapter send our President and Vice President to the WLC.
9. I move that our chapter conduct a parliamentary procedure demonstration for our school board and our faculty.
10. I move that our chapter donate $200 to our State FFA Foundation and $100 to the National FFA Foundation.
11. I move that our chapter sell Christmas trees and wreaths.
12. I move that our chapter landscape the front entrance of our elementary school and our middle school.
13. I move that our chapter conduct a bicycle safety inspection and a parking lot seat belt survey at our elementary school. (or high, middle, junior high).
14. I move that our chapter submit an Outstanding Administrator Award and an Outstanding Counselor Award to our Regional Supervisor.
15. I move that our chapter pay all the expenses to send two delegates to the State FFA Convention and two members to the National FFA Convention.
16. I move that our chapter offer to host the MFE and EDGE conferences for our state.
17. I move that our chapter donate $50 to the local food bank and $50 to the Red Cross.