Public Policy Committee Agenda
Wednesday, January 15 at 4:00 pm Central Time
- 1. Call to order/roll call (Linda)
- 2. Review of accessing information on communities of practice (Linda)
- If you have not already - Please log into your Community of Practice account and go to: http://communities.naae.org/community/naae/public-policy-committee
- On the left side, in the Actions box, select RECEIVE EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS
This way, anytime something new is posted to the committee space, members will get an email notification.
- 3. Federal legislation update (Jay)
4. State Profiles
Committee members were encouraged to continue to follow up with state profiles for his or her region. We are at the point where a personal contact would work best. All states should be reminded to update their profiles; those states without profiles should please get information to NAAE.
State Advocacy Profiles - http://www.naae.org/advocacy/profiles.cfm.
States Missing Profiles
- Region 2 - Texas
- Region 4 - Indiana, Michigan
- Region 6 - Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, West Virginia
5. State Legislation Crafting Survey Reminder
6. ACTE/NAAE NPS
7. New business -
- Create 1 page documents –
- “What is happening” or “How to guides”
- Success stories of Legislative Efforts should be shared for other states to use and learn from
- Advocacy Training for Teachers
- 2017-20 term members are going off the committee. These are the positions to be elected. 2017-20 members can be re-elected to the new 3-year terms. They should have submitted a signed MOU.
- The 2018-21 and 2019-22 members do not need to be reelected; their terms continue.
- Election - Region 1 - Kellan Standley, MT; Region 4 - Tony McCaul, MI; Region 5 - John Asbill
- Election of committee secretary
- Election of committee chair
- Any other issues we see on the horizon
Focus items for our committee from the Strategic plan for NAAE
5.B.1-Collaborate with ACTE Public Policy Marketing
- Strengthened national advocacy efforts for CTE including agricultural education.
- Increased involvement in National Policy Seminar
- Promoted the value of ACTE membership
- Public Policy and Marketing Committees identify ways to collaborate with ACTE.
- Continue and expand ag ed involvement in National Policy Seminar
- Link ACTE membership benefits to NAAE
- CTE joint advocacy projects.
5.D-Collaborate with The National Council for Agricultural Education Strategic Planning Public Policy
- Continued to expand National Teach Ag campaign
- Continued to grow CASE
- Collaborated on National Summit for Agricultural Education
- Identified emerging national education and public policy issues
- Strategic Planning and Public Policy Committees identify ways to collaborate with The Council.
- Continue and expand NAAE increased role/visibility in National Summit for Ag Ed. Develop semi-annual list of emerging education and public policy issues.
- Continue and expand management and facilitation of Council initiatives, such as the National Teach Ag Campaign and CASE.