Hello Ag Ed Friends and Family across the nation,
Wow, what a summer and presidential election season! This interest and engagement in public service can be a great gateway to specific leadership role conversations with students. I know you believe like I do that our greatest contribution is developing the next generation of leaders for our schools, our communities, and our nation through agricultural education.
Leadership involves knowledge, skills, and dispositions. Parliamentary procedure is a specific set of skills to help cultivate more effective leaders. With that context, I wanted to share/remind on two specific resources:
- Cooperative Extension: I love it. I fear it is chronically underappreciate and underfunded. Today, I found a great resource from Michigan Cooperative Extension for parliamentary procedure. Very practical materials for you to review to help your students and your community organizations. Check it out! http://msue.anr.msu.edu/resources/parliamentary_procedure_resources
NOTE: Please never hesitate to send me emails of great resources YOU find!
- 2) National Association of Parliamentarians (http://www.parliamentarians.org/): On Saturday, August 27th, NAP is hosting a Millennial/Gen Y Day” during the National Training Conference in Denver, Colorado. I believe they will accept day of registrations and the cost is $50/student that includes lunch/workshops. Dr. Jim Connors from Idaho and myself will be in attendance to talk to any ag teachers that come!
Note: There are two other professional parliamentary organizations to be aware of:
American Institute of Parliamentarians
Society of Agricultural Education Parliamentarians:
If there is every anything I can do to help you integrate parliamentary procedure into your program, FFA chapter and/or community, please do not hesitate to ask.
Daniel D. Foster, Ph.D.
“Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyse, there is the least of real liberty.” Henry M. Robert
- Superintendent, 2015-present
- - Associate Superintendent, 2009-2015
- - Committee Member, 2006-present
- - Vice President, 2014-present
- - Professionally Accredited Parliamentarian (PAP), 2011-present
- - Accredited Parliamentarian (AP), 2009-present
- - Member, 2010-present
- - Registered Parliamentarian (RP), 2016-present
- - Member, 2015-present
- - Youth Committee Member