I would have never thought that in my teaching career, I would see a situation like we are in right now. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that in teaching, you have to be prepared for anything!
I hope this message finds you safe and well. I know that covid-19 is affecting each of our communities differently, and our governments are responding in different ways. Many of you haven't been in the same room with your students since March, while a few of you have started back with students this week.
I certainly have a lot to learn, but here are some observations I've made:
- Our nation and our states are very diverse. The impact of the virus and our response to it varies widely. I think it's cool to see the successes that different approaches have yielded. That makes for good discussion with students.
- I've been surprised by my students. Sometimes I thought a remote lesson would be a hit, and it flopped. Other times, I had lower expectations, and I was got more response than I bargained for.
- I've had a lot of success breaking things into smaller chunks. Students seem to respond better to shorter, more frequent quick questions.
- Thank goodness for NAAE programming! I know many CASE certified teachers have maintained high quality instruction thanks to the support and materials provided by the initiative. The professional development workshops have also been helpful for many teachers. I've heard great comments about the workshops.
- The National FFA programming has also been helpful. The virtual field trips have been some of my most successful remote lessons.
- There have also been some great online networking and social opportunities put on by states and regions. Thank you for that outlet!
- It's ok to not have all the answers. I think we've done a great job with the hand we have been dealt. I'm hopeful that we can return to being with our students sooner rather than later, but I know one thing. No matter what happens in the future, NAAE will be there to support you!
Be safe and well. Take care, and don't forget to share your own successes!