The school year is basically over and our batteries have run down, our minds are exhausted, and our patience has been pushed to the limits. Why do we do what we do every day if it’s so draining on us? The love for our students and the need to help our students succeed in life with the best education possible is what many, if not all, would say. Great ag teachers truly love what they do as educators and always have the desire to see their students succeed in life.
Now, let’s take a moment to talk about us, as teachers. We need to always be interested in professional development training and how we can gain more knowledge in order to better meet the needs of our students. Every summer, not only does your state offer professional development training, but the NAAE also offers regional professional development training. Professional development helps us get primed for upcoming school year, and gives our students more opportunities to learn and succeed. Professional development helps us to be better trained and informed on the latest innovations, technology, and teaching methods for the upcoming year.
You will also find that as you attend these summer NAAE conferences you will grow your network of friends. You will find out that ag teachers are pretty much the same type of down-to-earth individuals, no matter what state they are from. You will also see how we all want the best for our students. When I say, “we want our students to do their best,” I mean the more knowledge we gain as teachers, the more knowledge we can pass on to our students.
I cannot encourage you enough to take part in the professional development workshops that will be offered during the NAAE summer regional meetings. Our first workshop and professional development training will take place in Region 1 and starts next week. Please visit your region on the NAAE website to find out the latest in scheduling and updates.
NAAE Regional Conference Locations and Dates:
Region I Fairbanks, Alaska May 20th – 24th
Region II St. Francisville, Louisiana June 17th - 20th
Region III Mitchell, South Dakota June 17th – 19th
Region IV Ann Harbor, Michigan June 25th – 27th
Region V Charleston, South Carolina June 24th – 26th
Region VI Roanoke, Virginia July 21st – 25th
For other professional training opportunities please click on the quick link below: https://www.naae.org/profdevelopment/index.cfm
1. We are excited to have Sarah Warren, who is our new NAAE Meeting Planner/Program Assistant.
Sarah is a product of agricultural education. She was a NAAE student teaching scholarship recipient in 2016. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in agricultural education and just completed her Master’s degree in community and leadership development (which is the department that includes agricultural education) at the University of Kentucky. She is a certified agriculture teacher and she is certified in the CASE Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Course. She did her student teaching at the Kentucky School for the Deaf and her Masters degree thesis is titled: “DeaFFA: An Exploration of Agricultural Education in Schools for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.”
She started full-time on Monday, May 13, 2019.
2. NAAE Communications/Marketing Specialist: NAAE is in search of applicants for the NAAE Communications/Marketing Specialist position. If you know of someone interested please share the following information with them from the link below. https://www.naae.org/whoweare/NAAE_Position_Description--Communications_and_Marketing_Specialist--04-29-19.pdf
3. 2019 NAAE Award Judges Needed: If you or you know of someone wanting to judge applications please go to the NAAE website and fill out the application or click the link below to take you to the application: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4957167/2019-NAAE-Awards-Judging-Volunteer-Form
4. 2019 NAAE Convention for this fall in Anaheim, California
• Link for the convention information: https://www.naae.org/convention2019/
• 2019 NAAE Convention Workshop Proposals: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4930480/2019-NAAE-Convention-Professional-Development-Workshops-Request-for-Proposals
Have a great summer, and don’t forget to get primed with some professional development for the upcoming year,
A message from our partners, as part of News & Views: