Friday Notes is designed to enhance communication among various agricultural sectors, educators, students, and the public who are interested in a variety of plant, animal, food, and environmental issues. Friday Notes advocates the pursuit of credible, unbiased, science-based information. Material contained in linked articles is from the original authors and does not necessarily reflect the views of CAST.
Rainbow Grain Bin
Harvest time must be approaching as a double rainbow lit up this grain operation on the Great Plains. And at this time of year, Happy Labor Day weekend to those in the U.S.
USDA Wants Input
Join Us at the
World Food Prize
The International Food Information Council will host the "Food Innovation Summit" September 21 in Washington, D.C.
Teach Ag Day
The ninth annual National Teach Ag Day celebration will take place September 20, as the nation recognizes the important role agriculture teachers play in our schools and communities. Scholarship Contest College students can win more than $25,000 in scholarships while advocating for agriculture in the Animal Agriculture Alliance's 10th annual College Aggies Online competition.
The U.S. Agency for International Development awarded $21.9 million to end global hunger and povertythrough three Kansas State University programs.
Submit an Idea
Catch CAST Online!Follow us on social media tostay up to date on the latest ag trends and recent CAST news!
|August 31, 2018|
The Big Ag Show
Science, innovation, policy, and entertainment
The 2018 Farm Progress Show in Boone, Iowa, delivered again--innovative machinery, the latest crop science, political announcements, and weather that ranged from torrential rain to perfect late-summer sunshine. The event provided plenty of entertainment also. Attendees could race miniature cars, tap putt-putt golf balls, and watch a couple of Guinness record events. Performances included the Peterson Brothers (see related links and photo below). The following articles provide just a sampling of the various events:
Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, along with Undersecretary Bill Northey, told attendees the administration is committed to making year-round E15 ethanol sales a reality, and they hope to resolve international trade disputes in a way that does not cause irreparable economic damage to agriculture.
News and Views
Fighting Food Waste: Researchers say food waste could rise substantially by 2030 when more than 2 billion tons will be binned. The U.N. set a goal to cut waste in two, but current trends are alarming. Watch for details regarding the upcoming CAST rollout of the research paper Food Loss and Waste.
News from the Far Side of the Barn
Footballers' Food: The average player of this NFL team consumes 4,000 calories per day, but some eat much more. What does it take to feed an NFL team for a week?
The CAST organization relies on expert input from many sources, and board members are key in helping promote CAST's mission of communicating credible information. New board members include the following:
will be on the CAST Board of Trustees.
will be on the CAST Board of Representatives.
Aquatic Plant Management Society, will be on
the CAST Board of Representatives.
A Chance to Make a Difference
CAST's success in countering misinformation and continuing as a voice for sound science in the
future--as we have in the past--depends on your membership and donations. Click here to help.
Friday Notes News Categories
Photos courtesy of the Agricultural Research Service (top masthead); TopLatest News (globe at right). P. 1 teach ag image from naae.org, grain bin pic from pbs.twimg.com, Farm Progress pic from YouTube, and Peterson Bros. photo from Melissa Sly. Animal Sec. giraffe pic from wordpress.com. Food Sec. vending pic from assetsbwbx.io. Plant Sec. corn pic from iastate.edu. Inter. Sec. boat pic from newslocker.com. Gen. Sec. reef pic from arvholiday.in.jpg. Unless otherwise noted, photos courtesy of the USDA Agricultural Research Service.
General Interest News
Check out CAST's page at the YouTube site to view highly regarded ag-science videos about probiotics, food safety, and water issues--or the latest video dealing with proposed mandatory labeling of GMO food items.
CAST provides Friday Notes as a benefit to its members. Please do not forward, edit, copy, or distribute the Notes in any form to nonmembers without the express permission of the CAST Executive Vice President Kent Schescke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Instead, please encourage your colleagues to join CAST and thereby become eligible for all membership benefits. Contact Colleen Hamilton at 515-292-2125, ext. 224 or email@example.com, or CLICK HERE for CAST membership information.
Societies, Companies, and Nonprofit Organizations
Serving on the CAST Board of Representatives
* Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
* American Association of Avian Pathologists
* American Association of Bovine Practitioners
* American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, & Resources-Agricultural Management
* American Dairy Science Association
* American Farm Bureau Federation
* American Meat Science Association
* American Meteorological Society, Committee on Agricultural and Forest Meteorology
* American Seed Trade Association
* American Society for Nutrition Nutritional Sciences Council
* American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
* American Society of Agronomy
* American Society of Animal Science
* American Society of Plant Biologists
* American Veterinary Medical Association
* Aquatic Plant Management Society
* BASF Corporation
* Corteva Agriscience, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont
* Croplife America
* Crop Science Society of America
* Entomological Society of America
* Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy
* Land O'Lakes
* National Corn Growers Association/Iowa Corn Promotion Board
* National Milk Producers Federation
* National Pork Board
* North Carolina Biotechnology Center
* North Central Weed Science Society
* Northeastern Weed Science Society
* Poultry Science Association
* Society for In Vitro Biology
* Soil Science Society of America
* Syngenta Crop Protection
* The Fertilizer Institute
* Tyson Foods
* United Soybean Board
* Weed Science Society of America
* Western Society of Weed Science
CAST assembles, interprets, and communicates credible, science-based information regionally, nationally, and internationally to legislators, regulators, policymakers, the media, the private sector, and the public.
Members of CAST's Education Program
* Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo
* Cornell University
* Iowa State University
* Kansas State University
* Mississippi State University
* North Carolina State University
* Texas A&M University College of Ag & Life Sciences
* The Ohio State University
* Tuskegee University
* University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture
* University of California-Davis
* University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
* University of Kentucky
* University of Nebraska Agricultural Research Division
* University of Nevada-Reno College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources
Note: Land O'Lakes provides sponsorship for the distribution of
Friday Notes to the National Association of Agricultural Educators.
Dan Gogerty (Managing Communications Editor)
Kylie Peterson (Communications and Social Media Specialist)
The Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
4420 West Lincoln Way
Ames, Iowa 50014-3447
Phone: 515-292-2125, ext. 222 (Dan) and 230 (Kylie)
** With assistance from Carol Gostele (Managing Scientific Editor)