This is an article from the July 2017 edition of NAAE’s News & Views Newsletter. To read News & Views in its entirety, please visit this link.
Are you an active NAAE member in your seventh to fifteenth year of teaching? Are you looking a new kind of professional development experience to help breathe new life into you as a teacher and into your classroom? If you answered yes to either or both, check out this year’s XLR8 program!
Developed in 2013, the eXcellence in Leadership for Retention professional development program is designed to meet the needs of mid-career agriculture teachers. XLR8 is a year-long professional development program that includes participation in an intensive professional development experience during the NAAE convention. After convention, participants continue their collaboration through NAAE’s Communities of Practice as well as other social media tools.
The goals of the program include:
- Developing experienced teacher leaders who will mentor other teachers in the profession.
- Providing mid-career level specific professional development to participants.
- Increasing overall longevity and satisfaction of participants with their chosen career of teaching agriculture.
Eligible applicants must fit the following criteria:
- Active NAAE member for the three previous years
- Currently in their seventh to fifteenth years of teaching
- Currently working in school-based agricultural education during the NAAE membership year they apply
- Must be able to attend the entire NAAE Convention, as well as additional professional development activities throughout the year
*Current members of the NAAE Board of Directors and previous program participants are not eligible to apply.
Interested? To apply for this year’s XLR8 program, click here! Applications are due by September 1, 2017.
The XLR8 program is sponsored by CSX as a special project of the National FFA Foundation. For more information about the program, including previous years’ participants, follow this link.