4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 7:45 PM by Kristin Friend RSS

Middle School Woodshop project

Ashley Richards Neighbor
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have a good woodshop project for 7th and 8th graders? It needs to be a small, quick project. In this class I only have students for three weeks at a time, and they will only actually have 8 days at most to start and finish the project. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Middle School Woodshop project
    John Daniels Mentor

I don't have a woodshop class that I teach at my school but I remember when I was in 7th grade we made a key holder. We just had a pattern of a giant key and cut it out, stained and varnished it, and then put a few (3 or 4) hooks in it so you can hang keys from. It was very simple in terms of supplies and steps and shouldn't take your students very long to do.

John

• 2. Re: Middle School Woodshop project
    Henry Paris Champion

A source of some beginner skill level projects I use for my 7th grade Exploratory classes is :

Personal Service Mfg. Corp

PO Box 922

Orland Park Il 60462

800-424-5487

I do a key holder project and desk set project. Both are "hand tool" projects some students will use a scroll saw with the desk sets if they get a little fancier with the design. This happens with everybody once somebody decides they want to make a VT (Va Tech) base. You oder the hardware and get plans with them. We supply the lumber. These are both relatively quick projects my students take home. Don 't find them thrown away down the hall.

• 3. Re: Middle School Woodshop project
    Mike Spiess Champion

There are a number of tool box type projects that are similar.   Basically built of pine with a dowel handle.  If you leave off the handle it can be a hanging planter.  I have used these for grammar school kids.  See some samples attached.  Can be built with hand tools or power tools.  Note: small planter boxes can be made with cedar to fit a specific number and sized plastic pots.  Students can then take home with herbs or flowers.  Great way to combine shop with horticulture.

Mike

• 4. Re: Middle School Woodshop project
    Neighbor

If you go to georgia ag ed website under middle school they have plans for the triangle jump a peg game from Cracker Barrell.  I have made this with 8th graders and used a compound miter saw to cut the angle and with 6th graders using only handtools.  It is an easy project for all ages.  Just buy the golf tees at Walmart and you're done!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...